« Home | PowerPrep 2 » | PowerPrep 1 » | Princeton Test #3 » | Priceton Test # 1 and 2 » | Verbal sectional test » | Quant Sectional Test » | Princeton Test #1 » | School School » | Golden Crisis Fortnight » | The GMAT progress.... »

Kaplan Test 1

BOY!!!! That was my first expresssion when the test ended. Call it the GMAT roller coaster ride.

Before I bore everyone with the ubiquotus scores, I want to confess that the test was the most interesting and most enjoyable i have written till now ( PP kept throwing silly OG questions at me. this one was way too far.

For the honours, the score says 620 ( Q50,V31 )
for both the scores I want to say - Hello ! was that me ?

In the disection of the the test

Verbal ( # incorrect 17 ).. That number itself is too great to demand a listing of the questions.


It was out of this world. I thought I was excellent at SC, nah ! i flunked 4 of them of this test. RC - better not say anything about them. What do you do when people discuss impressionism and theories of justice etc etc. Needeless to say I got a big chunk of the RC's wrong. All in all a though one there. I was not able to time it well either. I was in dying by the 30 question. Guessed the last 7 questions. Again needless to say I got 6 of them worng and 3 of them were RC

i could feel that the questios were getting tougher as i advanced. I saw the first RC at 10.

I found all the verbal questions too abstruse and the passages to long and to boring and the the CRs too complex as well. Somehow Kaplan has a weird writing style. Things will be non negative rather than positive.Most CR's were worded in a hopelessley complex manner.

Humm SC - got to catch up the kaplan 800. There were little nuance and sutble difference in the answers i chose and the correct ones.

Quant ( #incorrect 9) .
(9,11,13,14,16,19,32,33,36)
Yeah i never expected this on Kaplan ! Come on now, I have never been good at Math.
There I go and all through the Quant I though I was having my worst quant ever. 4 silly mistakes again. ( or i guess its silly because when you are writing the damn test you are so pressed for time, you rush and then in leisure you sit with that question and you know the right things). As iday said its concentration i guess.

Now I am beinnning to wonder, how good is good enough and how complex is complex ?

I guess by Kaplan standards, i did ok-ish. Not too happy though
There is a lot to be worked on with the Kaplan 800 and the Big Fat OG11 now.

Labels:

See - 9 wrong in Q and still 50. That's pretty much close to what wud happen on the real test. 9 is on the higher side still, but i'd always make allowances to someone taking the Kaplan test. They are difficult. Full Stop.

31 in V and 17 wrong - that's a perfect 50 percentage performance ;) But do not worry lady. Kaplan is the grill test. If Kaplan 800 is the mother of all prep books, the Kaplan tests are the most difficult out there. There arent many who've scored about 650 consisently in the Kaplan tests. So - ur pretty much okay.

I hate to say this again and again, but forget the time factor. You will set into a good rythm as time progresses. I get the feeling that u r rushing stuff and losing sight of what's in front of u. Concentrate dear!!! Even if u take 45 minutes for the first 20 questions, you can always rush after the 20 question and finish the remaining 17 in the last 30 minutes:)

yeah i know ! you know i'd admit this upfront. i was bored through the verbal. I am going to do better on the the next test though. I am going to keep my interest on it.That the only way to crack the verbal.Being involved and intersted in the abstruse..

//i was bored through the verbal
That sounds SO familiar :) I was going thru the same kind of emotions when i was doing my preps. As you take more tests, i guess you'd get used to this 3hr long grilling. Once ur in that zone, u shud be doing better anyway :D

scoring a 620 on kaplan isn't bad at all. you'd probably be slightly above the 700 mark on the actual test.

agree with mj...the general rule was (back when i wrote the test) was that actual gmat scores are around 100 points above your kaplan scores (true only for kaplan scores < 700 )

i think you are on a good track

hi
Wanna b freinds?
Me t same confused guy of reco one n in search for someone who is preparing too...
Gosh u r good, I just started to look into mba's and gmat... Thinking to take a diagonistic test before starting prep, i couldnt find any but this Kaplan 800 Gmat test 1.. same Qs n i got 510 :(( maths 30 Verbal 23.
True Verbal was tooo lengthy n boring or may be its my 1st time n blind test.. silly mistakes were bhar ke, i recall t right option after clicking next.

THats not bad at all! Compared to Kaplan, there's easily a 100 point rise in ur actual gmat. I myself scored a max of 630 on the 4 kaplan tests I took and my actual gmat was 700+. So chill maadi :)

But ya, never take a kaplan the day before or even a couple of days before ur actual test. Keep Powerpreps for those days. I finished off with my GMAT more than a week, 'cuz the scores r freskish!

U r dng well. a 50 in quant in Kaplan is supppperb! So keep it up :)

Oh btw, i visited ur blog for the first time today, so hello :)

Post a Comment