« Home | Interesting Essay Questions » | Kaplan Test 1 » | PowerPrep 2 » | PowerPrep 1 » | Princeton Test #3 » | Priceton Test # 1 and 2 » | Verbal sectional test » | Quant Sectional Test » | Princeton Test #1 » | School School »

What's up with my GMAT ?

Long time no blog !

The last two weeks have been gruelling at office and that has slowed down the GMAT a bit. However, I've manged to keep some pace. Took the Kaplan 2 test last week but did not do well on it so just opted to forget it as one of those test that didnt matter.

Its been long that I posted something comprehensive on the preps. Sofar, I have just been analysing the tests and optimizing on them.

So where am I with the preps ?

I am done with the OG Math Review and the OG Verbal Review. I was good at Quant, On the verbal, I was relatively better at RC and CR. SC is my strength any day. I should be reviewing all the questions where I erred on the Verbal.

Besides, I spent some quality time with the Kaplan 800 last week end and found it useful. I still have the SC section to complete there.I enjoyed working with that book.Its just amazing.

I also completed the Sectional Tests on the Kaplan CD. They where helpful as well. I would recommed that to everyone. Its convinent ( shot times ) and helps you pace yourself. The beneift is - you relaise how much time you take for a specific question type and helps you time your sections on the tests effectively. I realised that i was able to hit the SC's in less than 1 mins but it took me 1.5 mins to tacke a RC . Helped me a lot to time my verbal section.

Got a head start with AWA while sitting idle in office in the wee hours of the day( read 7.30 am ). Analysing arguments is fun but certain issues are too abstract to comment on. I am not bothering too much on the AWA for now. Will brush up a little towards the end.


I have come to know this about myself -

There are times when I do exceptionally well on my practice sets and the tests. Those sessions are satisfying, but there are times when I perform poorly. The only reason I can think of is, over working, anxiety and the pressure of performance. This is when i give way to silly mistakes. So since the last week I have tried to chill my preps and work with the books when my mind is fresh and active.

At the fag ends of each section on the test, i seem to get nervous with the clock ticking away, On both my Kaplan tests i could not concentrate on well on my last 5 questions on each section becuause I was left with 'a question per min'. I dont not recollect well, but i think i did not face this on the PowerPrep tests, so I am not too worried of it. I know i'll overcome this pressure.

Analysis of my 4 full length tests,

(Princeton 1 - 630,PowerPrep1 -690,PowerPrep2 -710,Kaplan 1 -620)

I was really bad at Math on test1, now I have a considrable improvement in the Hit ratio 42, 44, 46, 50 . What i need is consistent 50's on the Quant ( not 50's - the aim is < 6 questions incorrect ). I hope i will be able to nail 32+ correct questions. The comming Kaplan and GMAT preps will tell me.

On the Verbal section, my confidence is still shaky. The score ladder reads 34 ,32,41,31. I am not able to realise whether i improved or degraded.

The Silliest mistakes I committed on Math- Mis-reading the questions, reading half the question, forgetting to convert to appropriate measurements.

The Silliest mistakes on Verbal - not reading the answer choices back into the question (for the SC ). Interpreting too far on RC and CR, failing to understand the scope.

What are the plans ahead ?
I am planning to spend some time with the OG 11 and review my mistakes from Kaplan 800,OG 11 Quant and Verbal Guides. Take a couple of more tests and finally hit the AWA for a day or two and look out for a decent date to write the GMAT when I am relatively less burdened at office.

Labels:

Yeah really - long time no post!!!
Was wondering where this female has absconded!!!

Looks like u r doing a bit too much. I dont really know how it would be to handle too much work and preps. Make sure u r not pressing urself too much.

AWA is fun. Done bother too much about it. Spend some 2 hrs the day before the test and u shud be fine.

The rest of the gyan says that u r being a bit too nervy abt the test. Mis-reading the questions is really bad. I guess u r too very time conscious and are rushing. Just forget everything and concentrate on the questions in the screen. u shud be doing well.

I'm pressed to say this. If u can, take some time off - from work and preps. it might help :)

hey u havent taken t date of gmat yet?
i suggest u book it, as i was just seeing my January dates to give and to my surprise all dec n Jan dates r full ... except 9Jan and 23Jan .. i booked a date in a hurry not to looose dat date too

u may not get a date or appointment in entire month u aiming for

not booking a date is a costly mistake.
if you don't have a deadline, you won't plan it better.
right now, i just crossed the first half of my 2 month preparation. I have not done many things u have listed which means that u r better equipped to crack exams quite earlier itself.

Guys, i know, but belive me i am in a kind of soup here. I cant take leaves at office and the work doesnt look like decreasing. Looks like the GMAT bubble will burst soon. Hell i am working on saturday as well !!!

And yeah I know dates are an issue.

that was a hastily written comment.
@iday - I really wish i could abscond !!!!!!!
Every morning i land into office at 7.30 am and plainly wish to get out at 4.30 or 6 but in vain. My work had been back breaking for the last week.This week looks better.

okay okay.
first thing - BOOK A DATE!!!

check ur travel stuff and based on all that, book a date.
if ur travelling after 2nd week of August - book a date in the last week na dget going.
if ur travelling in early august, come back and take GMAT.

so - get ur travel arrangements all settled and fix a date.
as ram said - no deadline, no plan :)

i understand when u say "work has been back breaking".
but one has to move on. that might sound harsh. but some times some more force is needed to open the door :)

Post a Comment