« Home | My GMAT Day !! » | The take on retake » | Done with the GMAT » | The final blow of GMATprep 2 » | Last week and the GMAT » | What's up with my GMAT ? » | Interesting Essay Questions » | Kaplan Test 1 » | PowerPrep 2 » | PowerPrep 1 »

Of GMAT, GPA and brands

  • Through out the last weekend I was pondering on my to-be /not-to-be case.Surfed the forums to know how different ad comms treat a 690-Indian-IT- female and even wrote to a couple of ad coms.
  • While Wartonites tell me the score is good enough, GSB Chicago was of the opinion that I should increase my score if possible. I had also asked them " When does GMAT surface as a differentiator between two applicants ?". The answer to this questions was vague. I also asked them what the GMAT meant to recruiter ?( Yeah ! IB and consulting firms looks for GMAT while recruiting) and I could not get any further insight into it either. The Hass ad comm as pretty vauge in addressing the 690 dilemma.
  • I had this notion that the schools also take into consideration the 'brand' of you undergraduate university ( college ). This proved wrong. Both Wharton and Chicago did not belive in brands, they are actually concerned with "what one did with his/her education" instead of the brand on your transcript. The adcoms say that since they are in constant touch with alumni and current students , they are aware of competition at the universities in non-US countries and hence can fairly judge a person's GPA irrespective of the brand.
  • Hass differs !.It does consider the comparative quality of your undergraduate education. In his podcast the addmissions officer says that they do consider the competitive nature and rigor of your undergraduate study . That means a 3.8/4.0 from a not-so-known college is not very outstanding. A 3.5/4.0 from IIT would be good though !
All in all, things moved a bit in the past week but not as much as they should have.
So, should I put the BSchool dreams on the shelf for now and start all over again for 2010 or should I try my favourites this year ( Hass, Stern, Darden ). I am still thinking !!!
And Yeah ! I am going to devote some time this week for non-MBA activities which include appartment hunting, catching up on my long left Glimpses of world history ( in parallel with Maximum City ) and paying off the bills.

Labels:

i think you should give it a shot at those schools with your current score. Haas is always a long shot because its competitive to get into(even for 700+ scores), but i think you stand a good chance at both darden and stern.

give it a try. i think ur app will be competitive if u put in the right stories.

yeah thinking ! Dug out a lot on what matter at the schools. I am revisiting my schools and the numbers in my bag and 'me'. Will come to some decision soon

I agree with the others. I too think you should give it a shot. Haas is a little exclusive because its one of the only three top schools on the westcoast, apart from Stanford and UCLA. Hence they can afford to be more selective than their peers on the east and south.

Also, you mature significantly once you've apped once. You are clearer abt a lot more things than before. For that alone, it would be worth it to app and disciver yourself! :)

Post a Comment