« Home | Done with the GMAT » | The final blow of GMATprep 2 » | Last week and the GMAT » | What's up with my GMAT ? » | Interesting Essay Questions » | Kaplan Test 1 » | PowerPrep 2 » | PowerPrep 1 » | Princeton Test #3 » | Priceton Test # 1 and 2 »

The take on retake

I'll blabber a little later, first its time to thank everyone for their wishes and encouragement. With work and the GMAT, the blogs and mint tea's kept the sane in me alive.

So I ended up scoring less than 700. Disappointing Indeed !!!!!
And as I have felt after every major test, I feel "I can do a lot better than I did yesterday ".

The take on retake

With R1 deadlines in early October and November, a retake means, I need to cut out a lot of application effort and paste it into a better GMAT score. However, I don't think I have the bandwidth to retake it in a month. With work piling up at office and no possibility to take time-off from work, a retake within a month ( with the same work schedule and same level of preps ) would not add anything more to the score. Additionally,I checked up the dates and there are no dates available until September 28 now. Isn't that's way too late ?

Now,What does the GMAT score mean in the entire application ?
  • I know, GMAT is just a part of the whole application and the ad-com uses it to assess the applicants academic potential in conjunction with the undergraduate GPA ( which > 3.7 in my case ) So, how strong is my academic profile and what are the implications of the GMAT score ?
  • My quantative and Verbal percentiles both exceed 80, so they are acceptable at schools, but I belong to the challenged Indian IT pool. Is 690 competitive ? Do schools look at 690 applicants in the same way as they look at 700, 720 applicants. Will they look at the fact that the score is balanced ? Will they see that the total percentile is still 91.
  • Doesn't the score go against me ; an average Indian GMAT score is about 720-740. However strong I put up my essays, will they offset my GMAT score ?
  • Most schools have an average score of 700. But isn't the average misleading ? (The schools never publish the standard deviation). Now, Even if 80% of the scores fall in the 650 -740 range ( Tuck, Stern,Chicago) , Does that provide enough information to access the competitiveness of a Indian-IT-690 applicant ? I guess, no.

Though my score won't send my application to the bin at Stern, Tuck, Columbia, Chicago, Hass, Darden, will it boost my application? I am growing skeptical about my candidature All in all ,Hamlet's dilemma dawns -To be or not to be.

What does the 'voice of bloggers' say ?

What ideas do fellow applicants have ?

Labels:

1. Sept end is not late to take GMAT submit. The scores will be reported to the schools in about 15 days and i think u will be fine. The real question is whether u wanna take GMAT. If u opt to take GMAT by Sept end, how will u write all those essays. In 15 days u can AT MAX finish 2 school essays, which might not end up being ur best efforts again. And this is not CAT. Like icarus says, ur GMAT scores become important only when the AdComm sees two ppl from the same die-cast and with diff GMAT scores.

2. 3.7 is a great GPA. It will be a great proof to ur analytical skills.

3. Schools do look at a balanced score. Only those applicant who have a 80+ percentile in both the sections are allowed to apply to Wharton. this is a great proof to the fact that schools are looking at a balanced score and not a one section wonder.

4. to be frank, ur score does work aganist u. We are part of a heavily crowded demography and there are many high scorers here. but the essays are much more inportant than the GMAT. differentiate urself thru the Essays and u shud be doing well.

5. If u wanna apply to schools in R1 - plz dont retake the test. If u r ready to apply to schools in R2, u can retake it, since u have time. How u'd get time to prepare for the second appearance is for u to decide. Unless u r gonna improve ur score to beyind the 720 mark - the second take wont help

Post a Comment