« Home | Of GMAT, GPA and brands » | My GMAT Day !! » | The take on retake » | Done with the GMAT » | The final blow of GMATprep 2 » | Last week and the GMAT » | What's up with my GMAT ? » | Interesting Essay Questions » | Kaplan Test 1 » | PowerPrep 2 »

Why MBA ?

A long time ago I wrote on this PG thread about why people want MBA, It was basically frustration of aspirants over the highly comptetive CAT. Makes a light read though !

While returing from Bombay I found myself lost in that thread again. Most of us, young and ambitious want an MBA for a varitey of reasons :

  • Bored with my IT job , hitting keys and moving mouses.
  • More money, fast money.
  • switch career and get a better job [wait a min What is a better job? Its relative ]
  • Start my own venture [makes sense ]
  • Skip a few steps of the coporate ladder in my industry.

Might sound cynical, but aren't all these ephemeral ?

Isn't an MBA is more like IT , an enabler rather than an end. Just a catalyst ? If MBA is the 'end', its the worng end. The end is 'I'

Labels:

Very right its just an enabler..

Well Why MBA reminds me of this :)

I read somewhere some guys said in one of his speeches that he did so that he culd write it aftr his name only to find out at the end that unlike Doctors and others MBA's dont write MBA after their name :) and he felt totally cheated :D

In the words of the wise Dilbert, "Of course you do not WANT to do it. That is why they pay you!"

ha ha ha! good thread that! :)

Totally agree. As I keep saying, an MBA is just a means to an end, and not the end itself. Thats why at most schools you will hear students remarking that an MBA is what you make out of it. If you are smart, you can make the world your stage, if not, even a top school cannot gurantee you a decent job.

But dont know if you can do a direct comparison between IT and MBA. IT is an enabler for organizations. MBA is also an enabler, but for individuals.

BTW, u need to correct the link to PG, it has a double http/ in it

When I read your post, I went down and checked all the bullet points... MBA is just an enabler! I totally agree~ When I told people about my career goals, they said you could it without an MBA. Yeah...but I could do it sooner and probably easier(?) with an MBA, right?

Post a Comment