« Home | The Essay way » | Moving.. » | Chicago » | Detour - Cars, Maximum City » | Schools - and they are » | Why MBA ? » | Of GMAT, GPA and brands » | My GMAT Day !! » | The take on retake » | Done with the GMAT »

So much covered so long to go

My last post seems to have spurred a Debate. Well ! I'd say all's well that ends well. Whatever approach one takes, one has to come out with a crisp and well founded personality.

I did quite something this weekend.

I broke the ice with one of my recommenders over a cup of coffee I agreed to write my recommendations. Guess what , he too plans to go back to school but to get a Phd in Physics. Since both of us have a good rapport and similar interests, I am hoping for him to pen good letters. I am planning to meet him again on Wednesday ( its a holiday) to talk over other applciation aspects.

I had been writing my Goals since Wednesday and by Thursday evening the "description of the path" was over 1100 words ! I knew I was not getting anywhere with it. I felt like I was writing a chronologically elaborated resume. I stopped- took to some serious thinking and pondered on what was going wrong. I talked to a friend about it. He categorically distinguished all my why's frm the What's. I realised that all I thought was cause was in fact just an event. Substantial reasons were missing. I knew where I lacked. My whole stub seemed like only a lot of what's , without significatnt why's , how's and what change it brought.

I scrapped the whole thing and began afresh. I sorted out a few 'what's' that where important to me and wrote out all the why's and how's. I didnt start writing until I had the right balance. Next I set out to write it and I now am ready with a fair draft of it . I still need to imporve the 'why school x ' part. There are a couple of lose links and holes. I still am not satisfied with what I have produced so Iam going to sit with it today again ( now that i am in a different frame of mind )

I also worked around the 2 smaller essays for Chicago and the second essay is roughly done. The one thing I have been thiking quite seriously is " What is one thing that most people do not know about you?" Ah ! I have thought of a lot of options but none seem convincing enough. I know iIwill get there soon so just hanging in for the moment.

Among other tit bits, I figured out who would do my final reviews, broke ice with them and gave them a tentative schedule of when I could get drafts on their desk, created a check-list of all I need to give and convey to my recommender on Wednesday.

Having done it all, I spent the sunday completing the final exit formalities of my old apparment, shopping for music and watching Forrest Gump and Derailed ( you'd want to see Clive Owen !)
Like Forrest I have ample time for detours.

Labels:

Looks like u r diggin too deep. Hopefully u'll like the one u r working on now.
It is impossible to get a perfect draft on the first attempt. Well, that applies atleast for me.
So dont push too hard. Start with an all inclusive draft and then u can try making it perfect.

Good essay = Unfailingly hating your first draft = rewriting it endlessly = Immense patience :D

detours are important, more so when you are getting nowhere with your essays, and frustration creeps in ;))

good luck with the introspection, this surely will help.

@iday : i am not digging deep, I am just getting it right.


@juggler : yep ! i second you. you grow better only when 'you' know you are lacking. your own appraisal is a must before the writing leaves your desk

@Forrest : I love the detours that keep my spirit on the track. So yes i am going to keep detouring.

Post a Comment